Tofu Taco/Burrito Filling
photo by Enjolinfam
- Ready In:
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup Braggs liquid aminos or 1/8 cup tamari
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- Optional for more texture: Freeze tofu overnight. Thaw by boiling for 15 minutes.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add aminos, tomato paste and spices to pan. Stir well.
- Squeeze the water out of the tofu with a dishtowel. Crumble it finely into the pan (so that it vaguely has the texture of ground beef). Cook, stirring occasionally, a few minutes or until slightly browned.
- Drain most of the liquid off the tomatoes, then add to pan. Stir and cook a few more minutes.
Have made at least 1/2 dozen times and we love it. Usually double the recipe because it freezes well after prepared. After draining the tofu well, I use a ricer to get the consistency of ground beef., Once while preparing for picky meat eaters I omitted 1/2 of the barggs and chili powder then added a 1/2 pkg of organic taco mix. (I had doubled the recipe) It tasted more like a commercial taco. I do like both ways. Excellent recipe!
This made a very easy and tasty meal. I did not freeze the tofu, used less olive oil, tamari instead of the Braggs (never tried that before) and only 1 tablespoon of the chili powder because my BF is not fond of overly spicy food. This tasted extra tomatoey, which was good. We ate half of this for dinner, wrapped in four (2 each) small flour tortillas.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/451456/Paula+Grad+18.JPG I'm a grad student and also teach at two different schools, so I need some fast/easy recipes. I try to eat vegan, and most of my creations are also gluten-free because my husband is Diabetic/Celiac. I don't post any recipes I have not personally tried and liked.