1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe from my daughter. It is easy to assemble and tastes great. Mild, so it appeals to younger palates and those of us who don't like "hot spicy" - just full of flavor! Don't let the ingredients list intimidate you. It's much easier than it appears. Note: Sauce ingredients are marked with (s) (you can use 4 cups canned Enchilada Sauce instead of making your own.) Topping ingredients are marked with a (t)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) packages dry enchilada mix (s)
- 3 cups water (s)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste (s)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (s)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (s)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (s)
- 9 (9 inch) flour tortillas
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans, warmed
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (t)
- 2 cups sour cream (t)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained (t)
- 2 cups onions, chopped (t)
- 2 cups guacamole (t)
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives, sliced & drained (t)
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded (t)
- 1In a saucepan, combine sauce mix, water, tomato paste, garlic, pepper & salt. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2In a skillet, brown the beef and drain. Stir in 1/3 of sauce.
- 3Spread 1/3 of sauce in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13" baking dish. Place 3 tortillas over sauce, tearing to fit the bottom of pan. Spoon half of the meat mixture over the tortillas, then sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese.
- 4Add 3 more tortillas. Spread refried beans over tortillas, then top with remaining meat. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese.
- 5Layer remaining tortillas, then top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
- 6Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- 7While it is baking, prepare topping ingredients into small containers and arrange on a serving tray.
- 8Serve casserole with topping tray so guests can choose whatever toppings they desire. (Can also be served plain without toppings and it's still very good).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burrito Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.2
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 125.3 mg
- Sodium 1537.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 38.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dry enchilada mix