Prep 8 hrs
Cook 10 mins
I have tried many different recipes, until I came up with my own mixture. My family eats the entire meal in one sitting. Its a great weeknight meal, marinate the night before, throw it on the grill the next day. Perfect!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs of thinly sliced sirloin steaks or 1 1⁄2 lbs top round steaks
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 4 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3⁄4 cup of chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine the sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, mirin, sake, sesame oil, sesame seeds, and green onions in a bowl.
- In a large ziploc bag, put in the steak and add the marinade. Marinade for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat a skillet or preferably a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add the bulgogi and cook until browned, don't overcook or it will turn tough. NOTE: You can also use a BBQ grill to cook the steak, its just as great!
- With the left over marinade, add to pot to sauce pan. Mix the water and cornstarch together and mix with the sauce to thicken. Constantly stir over medium high heat until thickened.
- Add the sauce to the bulgogi and stir. Serve bulgogi on top of cooked jasmine rice.