Recipe by Botha
Traditional Bulgarian meal.
Top Review by 5thCourse
Turned out very tasty! I omitted thyme and totally forgot to add baking powder to the breadcrumbs in my excitement. The peppers were so soft they were a bit hard to keep together while breading and frying...I managed though:) If you can stuff yours without splitting them, that would help a ton. I find red peppers have the best flavour for roasting. The sweetness goes wonderfully with the salty feta. I didn't think I'd need the yogurt sauce, but it went really well!It's light and fresh, balancing out the fried-ness. The fresh parsley was the perfect high note.
For the peppers
- 8 bell peppers (red or green)
- 500 g white feta cheese (from cow or sheep)
- 100 g yellow cheese
- 5 eggs
- 300 g breadcrumbs
- 3-4 garlic cloves (smashed with a pinch of salt)
- 1 tomatoes
- 14.79 ml thyme
- 9.85 ml parsley
- 1.23 ml black pepper (powder)
- 150 g oil or 150 g olive oil
For the sour souse
- 500 g Bulgarian yogurt or 500 g sour plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with
- 0.25 ml salt
- 9.85 ml dill
- 9.85 ml parsley
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml white vinegar
- 2.46 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sauce:.
- Mix together the garlic and the spices and then add the yoghurt and then the oil and the vinegar.
- Cool the sauce in the fridge before you serve it.
- For the peppers:.
- Barbecue the peppers (or fry them without oil) until their skin becomes dark brown (be careful not to burn the peppers). Then peel off the skin, clean the handle and the seeds from inside.
- Grind the white feta cheese, the yellow cheese and the tomato and mix them all together. You can add 100ml of the feta cheese water so that the mixture will not be too thick.
- Mix 1 egg and add them to the cheese mixture then add all the spices.
- Fill the peppers with the ready cheese mixture.
- In two separate bowls put the bread crumbs and in the other mix 4 eggs with a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking powder.
- Boil in a pan oil at 180°C and then dip the already filled peppers in the bowl with the eggs, then in the bowl with the bread crumbs, and then again in the eggs and fry them in the oil.
- Serve the peppers hot with a sour sauce.