Recipe by Bess McDonald
A family favorite moderately healthy and delicious. I really don't measure you can add more or less of every ingredient to taste. I tend to over do the veggies and lighten the butter if I want healthy, overdo the cheese and use real half and half or sour cream if I want hearty and rich. You can also cook the chicken breasts in water with the veggies and omit the broth or use velveta in place of cheddar if you prefer a milder cheese.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 16 ounces chicken stock
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup hot sauce
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over medium heat, add sliced carrots, sliced celery, chopped onion, garlic salt, salt and pepper.
- Stir till onions and celery begin to become translucent.
- Blend flour with enough broth to make liquid and add remaining broth to vegetables bring to a simmer and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer till carrots are desired tenderness (I shred the chicken while waiting for this).
- Add chicken stock and flour mixture to thicken.
- Add cheese and stir till disolved.
- Add non-fat half and half, milk and shredded chicken.
- Garnish with crumbled blue cheese if desired.