Recipe by CIndytc
Cut this out of the Food Network Magazine.. Looks like it would be a real winner!
Top Review by Teresa in CO
This is an artery clogging, kitchen-dirtying, totally indulgent, sinful meal. I can't eat like that every day, or actually any day! I used 2% cheese, subbed milk for 1/2 and 1/2, and used light sour cream. For what it's worth, my sauce was still creamy and delicious and saved a bunch of calories! I also skipped the pepper jack and used gruyere and swiss instead, because I wanted a stronger cheese taste. However, I thought (and DH agreed) that the hot sauce flavor totally overpowered the taste of the cheese, so frankly I felt like I wasted my cheese! The blue cheese on top was like the icing on the cake- I loved the crunch of the panko and the bite of the blue cheese. A very good combo of two delicious meals!
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- kosher salt
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup hot sauce (preferably Frank's)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 lb yellow sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes or so. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 T. butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook untilsoft. About 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup hot sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 more minute.
- Melt 2 T. butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the half & half, then add the remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
- Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaing macaroni, Pour the cheese sauce evenly on top.
- Put the remaining 2 T. butter in a medium microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the panko crumbs, blue cheese and parsley.
- Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.