Recipe by Bergy
This casserole has an oriental flavor and kids love it! If you wish to make this a do ahead recipe just leave the noodles off until just before you pop it into the oven. Serve over cooked rice or mashed potatoes
Top Review by WJKing
True to form, Bergy's recipes never disappoint! LOVED this. We DID wait to put the chow mein noodles on top until the last 20-ish minutes, so they were nice & crisp. Great stuff. This is a keeper! Thx, Bergy!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups celery, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces canned sliced water chestnuts
- 12 ounces fresh bean sprouts
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups crisp chow mein noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cook beef until brown & crumbly.
- Turn the cooked beef into a 2 1/2 quart casserole.
- Pour off any grease from skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, celery and mushrooms to the skillet; sauté until cooked but still crisp.
- Add veggies to the meat in the casserole then fold in the bean sprouts, water chestnuts and tomatoes with the juice.
- In a small bowl, blend the cornstarch with the soy sauce and stir into the mixture.
- Top with chow mein noodles.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.