Recipe by Cook4_6
This is another easy, but yummy copycat recipe from one of my favorite restaurants!
Top Review by KateL
3 Stars, excellent restaurant-quality taste, but ingredients listing and directions need improvement. If begin with cooked chicken tenders, the chicken would be way overcooked by serving time; restaurant's version of recipe given to Sun Times newspaper October 14, 1998 (http://www.suntimes.com/recipes/pasta/47761,macaronirosa.recipe#) clarifies preparation of ingredients, and pares down amounts for brushetta to amount actually needed for the recipe. After adding in marinara sauce and cream, this should be brought just to a boil and then lowered to a simmer and covered for about 10 minutes to help the sauce reduce by a third efficiently. I lowered fine mesh colander with pasta and broccoli into boiling water for 3 seconds, allowing me to remove all completely for final draining. This was so good I will experiment with more diet-conscious versions, but if they aren't as good, I guess I'll just have to make an exception! By the way, my photo shows the entire recipe, piled on a 12" x 12" plate -- does that look like just 2 servings to you??? This amount is what the restaurant calls a small order for 2 (maybe 3) people, but this will feed at least 5 people. I'm more likely to increase the proportion of chicken next time, since I can't eat all that pasta. Because I had 8 ounces of farfalle pasta on hand, that's what I used, I think it looks a tad fancier, somehow. Thanks for posting, Cook4_6. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 6 ounces cooked chicken breast strips
- 3 ounces peas
- 16 ounces marinara sauce
- 6 ounces cream
- 6 ounces broccoli, buds
- 1 ounce basil, for brushetta mix
- 1⁄4 tablespoon salt, for brushetta mix
- 2 ounces olive oil, for brushetta mix
- 1⁄4 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper, for brushetta mix
- 2 ounces garlic, peeled chopped for brushetta mix
- 4 ounces red onions, for brushetta mix
- 1 lb roma tomato, for brushetta mix
- 2⁄3 cup grated romano cheese
- Add all the ingredients together listed for brushetta. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add mushrooms and chicken tenders. Sauté until chicken starts to brown along the edges.
- Add marinara and cream and reduce by a third.
- Add 4 oz of bruschetta mix and peas. Cook for three minutes. (Refrigerate the remaining brushetta mix to serve over toasted Italian bread with fresh mozzarella).
- Drop macaroni and broccoli buds in boiling water for three seconds.
- Drain and toss in sauce along with Romano cheese and serve on a large platter.