Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I know this soup should be made with mushroom,but my granny didn't like them.Instead- this soup has a very strong "carroty" flavour and served with a piece of soft butter and lots of freshly ground black pepper-it is a little piece of Eastern European heaven here in the West and a little memory of a funny woman who loved her food and her family
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, about (Not olive oil,please I use rapeseed oil)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled&diced (I use white English potatoes)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley (weighs about a 100 grams)
- 2 liters vegetable stock (my gran made her own, I use vegetable grannules, about half a spoon)
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh dill (optional)
- soft butter, diced
- fresh ground black pepper
- sweat the onions and the carrots in vegetable oil.
- when they are soft add the garlic just for a few seconds.
- (you'll know when you're ready to go to the next step when it starts to smell "garlicky").
- add the potatoes and barley and enough water to cover.
- (if the veges are soft enough the water should be orange).
- bring to boil.
- reduce heat,cover and cook for 1 hour.
- if you're using stock cubes or grannules rather than home made stock- add it now with salt&pepper to taste (omit salt if you're going to serve it with salted butter).
- cook for 1/2 hour and check if they barley and veg are soft enough.
- serve soup in a bowl.
- put a small piece of soft butter on top.
- ground some pepper on top.
- and sprinkle some freshly chopped dill if you like.