Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is adapted from Anne Casales' "Italian Family Cooking"
- 1 small fennel bulb (~1.5 lb.)
- 16 ounces frozen Brussels sprouts
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs (I use seasoned)
- Cut off upper stalks of fennel. Slice in quarters vertically and trim out inner core. Slice into thin lengthwise strips.
- Cook Brussels sprouts with 1 T salt in boiling water for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and let cool enough to handle and slice each sprout in half.
- In large sauté pan heat olive oil over medium heat until haze forms.
- Add onion and fennel and cook until medium tender (should still have a little crunch).
- Add sprouts, sugar, salt, pepper and stir – let cook ~3 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and breadcrumbs until combined – then eat!