Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is such an easy recipe and it does dress up the sprouts - the chestnuts stay crunchy. I sometimes add a few button mushrooms too.
- 1 lb Brussels sprout, small, trimmed, and an x cut into the bottom stem
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄8 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, dried
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Bring broth to a boil, add sprouts and simmer uncovered for 7 minutes, or a bit longer depending on the size, they should be fork tender, drain well.
- Add butter,sugar, thyme, chestnuts salt& Pepper to the sprouts.
- Saute until the sprouts/ chestnuts are hot and glazed.
- Squeeze or sprinkle the fresh lemon juice over them.
- Serve hot.
Wonderful recipe Bergy! I followed the recipe exactly except I cheated and used a bag of frozen sprouts. I also used the Splenda so I could stay legal on my low carb diet. I loved the crunchiness of the water chestnuts and the finishing touch of the lemon juice gave this a wonderful "tangy" flavor! This is easy enough to do every day, and yet impressive enough to serve to guests or at a Holiday meal!
Fantastic! Water chestnuts and Brussels sprouts go so well together. I did use the optional lemon juice, and highly recommend using it. I also added some finely chopped onions. Thanx for a great veggie recipe. I'll make this again.
YES!!! This is a winner. I used a package of Splenda and it was just perfect to bring out the flavor of the brussel sprouts. The crunchiness of the water chestnuts really went well with the dish and offered and kind of nutty taste to the dish. Overall this is a great low carb side dish we will enjoy often.