Recipe by Bergy
This is such an easy recipe and it does dress up the sprouts - the chestnuts stay crunchy. I sometimes add a few button mushrooms too.
Top Review by yooper
Wonderful recipe Bergy! I followed the recipe exactly except I cheated and used a bag of frozen sprouts. I also used the Splenda so I could stay legal on my low carb diet. I loved the crunchiness of the water chestnuts and the finishing touch of the lemon juice gave this a wonderful "tangy" flavor! This is easy enough to do every day, and yet impressive enough to serve to guests or at a Holiday meal!
- 1 lb Brussels sprout, small, trimmed, and an x cut into the bottom stem
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄8 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, dried
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a boil, add sprouts and simmer uncovered for 7 minutes, or a bit longer depending on the size, they should be fork tender, drain well.
- Add butter,sugar, thyme, chestnuts salt& Pepper to the sprouts.
- Saute until the sprouts/ chestnuts are hot and glazed.
- Squeeze or sprinkle the fresh lemon juice over them.
- Serve hot.