Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A rich veggie gratin, oozing of parmesan and cream.
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream or 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb Brussels sprout, thinly, sliced, and, lightly blanched
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic, clove, finely, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 onion, thinly, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup smoked bacon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a medium sauté pan and cook the onions but do not allow them to brown.
- In a separate pan, cook the bacon over a medium heat to render the fat.
- Butter a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Blend together the cream, milk, Parmesan cheese and seasoning in a large bowl with a spoon.
- Mix the blanched Brussels sprouts, onions and bacon, tossing them together with the garlic, a little seasoning and grated nutmeg.
- Place the mixture into the bottom of the ovenproof dish and cover with the cream mixture.
- Cover the dish loosely with wax paper and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Halfway through cooking, remove the paper and press the sprouts under the liquid in the dish.
- Return to the oven and brown.
- Serve warm.