Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
We love bruschetta and this is so easy and just taste great. The spicy flavor of the Dijon mustard puts a nice little kick to the traditional bruschetta. Don't have to heat the oven during the hot summer days when you have lots of fresh tomatoes. Adapted from Taste of Home with a few changes to suit our taste buds.
- 1 lb plum tomato, seeded and chopped (about 6)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onions or 1 tablespoon purple onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- lite olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, onion, garlic and oregano; set aside.
- Lightly brush bread with olive oil.
- Grill one side of the bread slices, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove from the grill and.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over toasted side.
- Grill 1-2 minutes longer on the untoasted side or until the bottom of bread is toasted. (Mayo side will be facing up).
- Spoon tomato mixture over the top of the mayonnaise mixture.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, as much or as little as you like and serve.
- NOTE: If you don't want the juices of the tomato mixture to soak into the bread, drain the juices before adding to the bread. We liked it with some of the juice added to soak into the bread.
I enjoyed this for lunch today! I have some leftover so will eat for a great snack! I halved the recpe. Thanks Nimz!
Doesn't get much better than this! These are very flavorful and were a hit with my small dinner party. I even forgot the parmesan and they were delicious. Thanks for the keeper Nimz!
The men in my life said to give this a definite 5 star rating. As for me, I really enjoyed the fact that it can be cooked in only a few minutes on the grill. In the mayo spread, I used fresh garden chives in place of the green onion. This is very tasty.