Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
From the back of a Domino 1-lb light brown sugar box -- makes a 9x5x3-inch loaf size -- serves 8. Serve with optional whipped cream and assorted berries. Although not called for in the recipe, I'll add 1 cup toasted chopped pecans when I make it! :)
Top Review by HokiesMom
Boy oh boy does this pound cake have a ton of flavor! I really was surprised there was such a difference in flavor by using only brown sugar but it was there and everyone in the family enjoyed this cake. One little thing about the baking - using a glass pan as I did might not mean a reduction in temperature to 325F. I found that I had to bake it 65 minutes to get the center finished but by that time the outside was browned more than I like. I think next time (probably next weekend!) I'll use the 350F temp and bake 50-55 minutes. The texture is wonderful in the center with a moist consistency and is perfect with fresh strawberries in their own syrup over the top. Found and made for Photo Tag.
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans (optional)
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- assorted berries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F (325F glass or dark loaf pan).
- Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture.
- If desired, add TOASTED chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into pan.
- (CHECK CAKE AT 55 MINUTES FOR DONE-NESS) ~ Bake approximately one hour or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool completely a wire rack. Serves 8.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream and assorted berries.