Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A rich, hearty mixture with the nutty flavor of brown rice, and earthy shiitakes and scallions. Serve sprinkled with peanuts for a side dish to your favorite asian main dish, or enjoy as your whole meal!
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps sliced or 1 cup dried shiitake mushroom, slices
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion (green part only)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts
- Soak shiitakes in 3 cups hot water until soft, as directed on package (at least 25 minutes). Save soaking water.
- Strain soaking water through a fine-mesh sieve into a large saucepan; add rice, shiitakes, soy sauce and salt. Bring to a boil, stir and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until all liquid has evaporated and rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to rest 10 minutes. Stir in scallions, sprinkle with peanuts and serve immediately.