Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Absolutely Fabulous! From Rosie Daley
Make and share this Brown Rice Soup With Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup wild rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine (about 2/3 cup)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped fine (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 small carrot, chopped fine (about 1/3 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions or 2 tablespoons green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon natural soy sauce (such as tamari)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Put the rice with the salt in 3 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Trim the tough ends off the asparagus stalks and discard. Steam the asparagus until tender yet crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain it in a colander, then rinse under cold water. Let the asparagus cool for a few minutes. When completely cooled, cut into 1-inch pieces, reserving 1/4 cup of tips for garnish.
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with the olive oil. Add the celery, onion, carrot and thyme. Cover and cook over low heat for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add the vegetable stock and cooked rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool a bit.
- Carefully transfer small batches to a blender and blend until smooth. Return all the blended mixture to a pot. Stir in the asparagus, scallions, parsley, soy sauce, pepper sauce and ground pepper. Return to a simmer for 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with reserved asparagus tips and parsley sprigs.