Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A wonderful light summer salad of nutty brown rice, grilled vegetables and a light lemon dressing. Makes a great BBQ or potluck dish. I like to make a big bowl for lunches during the week. A great way to use up leftovers from dinner!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry short grain brown rice
- 2 portabella mushroom caps
- 1 red onion, sliced thick
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 zucchini, sliced thick
- 1 cup low-fat Italian salad dressing (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh herb (basil, parsley, thyme)
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Prepare the rice according to directions. Set aside.
- Grill the vegetables until done (I marinate them in lf italian dressing first).
- In a large bowl, mix together the lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Add warm rice and stir to combine.
- Dice the grilled vegetables and add to rice after slightly cooled.
- Stir in chopped herbs and top with the crumbled feta.
Made this recipe for one of my homebound neighbors who loves mushrooms, feta & brown rice ~ This recipe had her name on it, & she loved it, along with a chicken stew I made to go with it! Followed your ingredients with the exception that I used lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P! My neighbor thanks you! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]