Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Porter's Restaurant, 17 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, London
- 2 large onions, coarsely diced
- 10 fluid ounces ale, not beer
- 30 fluid ounces beef stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and coarsely diced
- 2 ounces butter
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the onions, cook until translucent.
- Add the beef stock and bring to boil.
- Turn down to simmer, add the potatoes and ale.
- Allow to cook until the potatoes have broken down.
- Remove from heat and add the grated cheese, blend thoroughly and serve immediately with fresh crusty bread.
I was looking for something different, and wow I found it. It was very good and had three of my favorite things.... a good ale, onions, and cheese.
Great soup! I used Newcastle Brown Ale for this and it was delicious. A big hit with the whole family!
I love to try new soups when it is cold outside, and since I love French Onion Soup as well as Beer-Cheese Soup I thought this might be a good candidate. It was very tasty and had a nice consistency. It did not take an hour for me to prepare which worked out well! Thanks for the post.