Recipe by COOKGIRl
Another easy recipe to prepare, especially useful if you have leftover rice. Try this with lamb or chicken! From www.sunmaid.com.
Top Review by Pluot
This is good but rather dry as written, even after I added 1 tsp oil to saute the almonds rather than dry-roasting them. (Dry roasting on nonstick may not be a good idea -- the gases from the nonstick are potentially harmful.) I wound up adding another teaspoon of oil at the end & mixing it in thoroughly, as well as adding about 1/2 cup chopped celery for added crunch.
- 3⁄4 cup long grain brown basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds or 1⁄4 cup cashew pieces
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 medium granny smith apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the basmati rice until tender and liquid absorbed. (If using leftover rice, heat thoroughly.) Do not add any oil or salt to the rice. Keep warm.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, toast the almonds until light golden brown, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Next add the curry powder, cooking for about 1-2 minutes or until curry powder is fragrant, again being careful not to burn.
- Add the Granny Smith apple, raisins and green onion. Stir gently and heat through.
- Season with salt to taste.