Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another easy recipe to prepare, especially useful if you have leftover rice. Try this with lamb or chicken! From www.sunmaid.com.
- 3⁄4 cup long grain brown basmati rice
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds or 1⁄4 cup cashew pieces
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 medium granny smith apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- Cook the basmati rice until tender and liquid absorbed. (If using leftover rice, heat thoroughly.) Do not add any oil or salt to the rice. Keep warm.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, toast the almonds until light golden brown, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Next add the curry powder, cooking for about 1-2 minutes or until curry powder is fragrant, again being careful not to burn.
- Add the Granny Smith apple, raisins and green onion. Stir gently and heat through.
- Season with salt to taste.
This is good but rather dry as written, even after I added 1 tsp oil to saute the almonds rather than dry-roasting them. (Dry roasting on nonstick may not be a good idea -- the gases from the nonstick are potentially harmful.) I wound up adding another teaspoon of oil at the end & mixing it in thoroughly, as well as adding about 1/2 cup chopped celery for added crunch.