Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have not tried this recipe. This is posted in response to a request for a apple pie recipe. Makes a 9-inch pie.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tart apples, peeled, sliced (8 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 large brown paper bag
- vanilla ice cream (optional) or whipped cream (optional)
- Combine flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in water with a fork, a little at a time, to form a ball.
- On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to 11 or 12 -inch diameter. Fit into 9-inch pie plate. Flute edges.
- In large bowl, toss sliced apples with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Arrange apples in pie pastry.
- For topping, in bowl combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter. Sprinkle topping over apple filling.
- Place pie in a large paper bag on a baking sheet. Loosely fold open end under.
- Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Carefully remove pie from bag to avoid steam.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.