1 hr 10 mins
I have not tried this recipe. This is posted in response to a request for a apple pie recipe. Makes a 9-inch pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/2 lbs tart apples, peeled, sliced (8 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1Combine flour, salt and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2Stir in water with a fork, a little at a time, to form a ball.
- 3On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to 11 or 12 -inch diameter. Fit into 9-inch pie plate. Flute edges.
- 4In large bowl, toss sliced apples with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Arrange apples in pie pastry.
- 5For topping, in bowl combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter. Sprinkle topping over apple filling.
- 6Place pie in a large paper bag on a baking sheet. Loosely fold open end under.
- 7Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- 8Carefully remove pie from bag to avoid steam.
- 9Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brown Bag Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.8
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 201.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 27.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g