Recipe by BecR
A colorful and attractive salad with just the right combination of flavors--we especially love the tanginess from the cider vinegar. Fantastic! I sometimes replace the cashews with roasted sunflower seeds, and the mandarin oranges with raisins--it's great either way! Best made a day ahead of serving.
Top Review by Debbwl
The mandarin oranges add such an appealing color to this wonderful broccoli salad. I made as written and tasted, then let sit the recommend 24 hours. Wow what a flavor difference those 24 hours made. I did not use the optional mozzarella for fear it would be distracting. As a matter of personal taste will increase the red onion to 3/4 cup next time, thanks for the post.
- 2 medium head fresh broccoli, washed and trimmed (do not use frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup roasted cashews (or roasted sunflower seeds)
- 1⁄2 cup canned mandarin orange segments, chopped and drained (or raisins)
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup good quality mayonnaise (such as Hellman's or Best Foods)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the broccoli into bite-sized florets.
- Mix together broccoli, red onion, bacon, cashews, mandarin oranges, and mozzarella (if using) in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine vinegar, sugar, oil, and mayo. Whisk in the salt and pepper.
- Pour over broccoli mixture and toss to coat.
- Best if made a day ahead.