Recipe by JustaQT
This is so very delicious. Its always a favorite even if you don't like broccoli. Give it a try. You won't be sorry. My mother in-law gave this recipe to me and I can never make or eat enough of it.
Top Review by micro_ang
Very tasty side dish, good for a large family or if you have people over. You need quite a large pan to make the full recipe, I had to use a shallow roasting dish, but it turned out well. This is a really nice warming, winter dish but I would eat it any time of the year!
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 small onion
- 1 jar Cheese Whiz
- 3 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 package frozen broccoli, thawed (florets are best)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saute pan melt the margarine and saute a small onion until it's soft but not brown.
- If not using onion you will still need the butter.
- In a large saucepan melt the cheese wiz, then add cream of mushroom soup, sugar, salt, pepper, milk and onion. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook the rice as directed on package, Drain.
- Meanwhile, Separate large broccoli florets into bite size or smaller pieces.
- If using stalks, chop them in a food processor.
- Add the florets and the rice to the cheese mix and stir until well combined.
- Pour into a large pan, (10x14x2 cake pan would do) Put in oven at 350 degrees for 30 min or until golden brown.
- Substitutions:* substitute 1 t onion powder for 1 small onion** Substitute 2 T Splenda for 2 T sugar to make this diabetic friendly and doesn't change the taste what-so-ever.