Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Quinoa 365 the Everyday Superfoods" by Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming. I have put the recipe as written below but i have a few adjustments. I would add more cheese, but i like stuff really cheesey. It seemed to have more cheese flavour the 2nd day so keep that in mind if you are making it a day ahead. Don't salt until you've added the cheese since this can have a lot of salt in it. MAKE SURE that when you add the quinoa and stock and turn it down that it is actually simmering. Mine wasn't and then I had to turn it up and cook it longer after the specified time.
- Separate the broccoli into smaller, bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Melt butter n a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, quinoa and chicken stock into the saucepan. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 18 minutes, until quinoa is tender.
- Puree the cooked mixture with a hand blender or cool slightly and pure in 2 batches in a blender of food processor.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and add the cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat the soup on low heat, being careful not to boil it. When the soup is hot, stir in the cheese until just melted and serve immediately.
Most of my family members loved this recipe. We added extra cheese, and didn't add salt as suggested. Next time we won't puree all the broccoli, so some of it says chuncky.
As with most soups, this was better the 2nd and even better the 3rd day! Quinoa nice addition.
I think it could be 5 stars with the right seasoning added, it just needed something else to make it "wow".
I don't normally take the time to comment on receipes I try but this was worthy of my time! It's easy to make and is very tasty. The quinoa adds a great dimension to what can be a bland texture. I like my broccli on the soft side so i cooked longer in vegatable broth and found by doing so i didn't need to use the blender or food processor. I also had to use more broth so plan for 32 oz in total.