Pina Colada Quinoa
Reminiscent of a tropical holiday, this breakfast cereal also makes a nie lunch or afternoon snack. Serve hot or cold. From Quinoa 365. You may wish to add 1/4 cup of unsweetened toasted coconut for a different and crunchy texture... or, a sliced banana, for more tropical taste!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- TIP: Rinse the quinoa well; I use a fine mesh strainer - this removes any remaining natural coating, which has a slightly bitter flavour. If you have time, try recipe #16399, toasted quinoa, to prep your quinoa - it makes a world of difference!
- In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and coconut milk to boil. Cover, reduce to low, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for an additional 6 minutes.
- Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice. Stir 1/2 cup of the juice into the saucepan. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the crushed pineapple, and serve. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made the recipe as is and wow, what a delightful change from the usual oatmeal for breakfast! It was my first time having quinoa as a sweet meal. Just a nice hint of coconut combined with the wonderful sweetness of the pineapple. I'm glad hubby is out of town so I can have this all to myself! :) I'm definitely making this one again.Reply