Recipe by PaisleySage
Broccoli Casserole is our family tradition and I sometimes look for an excuse to make it. :) There's never enough! This recipe is portioned for four. I prefer steaming broccoli in a pot with water filled to the bottom of a steamer basket, covered, for about 6-8 minutes. Broccoli should still be somewhat firm and bright green. When it becomes mushy and dull in color all of the nutrients have been leached and it actually loses flavor. You'll want to allow room for the broccoli to cook a little bit more in the oven.
- 6 ounces fresh broccoli, steamed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese, of your choice divided in half
- 1⁄2 cup Ritz cracker, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In the same pot used for steaming the broccoli, add onion and butter and cook over medium-low heat until onion softens. Stir frequently to prevent browning.
- Remove from heat then add cream of mushroom soup and stir well.
- Stir in sour cream until well mixed, then add steamed broccoli, then half of the cheese.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 1.5 quart casserole dish.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Layer remaining cheese and crushed crackers evenly on top.
- Cook covered in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook an additional 5 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool about 10 minutes before serving.