This can be a main course or a side dish at something more extravagant.
Make and share this Broccoli and Ham Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 lb broccoli, trimmed, cooked in boiling, salted water until just tender, and chopped coarse, about 4 1/4 cups
- 5 ounces cooked ham, chopped
- 1 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until scalding.
- Take off heat.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tlbsps butter over moderately-low heat and saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add the flour and cook the roux, stirring, for 3 minutes more.
- Add the heated milk in a stream, whisking, and simmer it, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses and season to taste.
- Keep stirring just until the cheeses are melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- In a well-buttered 14 inch gratin dish, combine the broccoli and ham and pour sauce over.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top, dot with remaining 2 tblsps butter and bake in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for 30 minutes, or until it is browned and bubbly.