Recipe by Judy from Hawaii
This recipe is originally from one of the Farm Journal cookbooks. It is a nice side dish for a special meal. The texture is almost like a souffle.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) jar cheese spread
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook broccoli in boiling, salted water.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Cook onions in 1/4 cup butter till soft.
- Blend in flour, then milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, till thickened.
- Stir in cheese spread, salt and pepper until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese mixture to eggs, a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broccoli and then place in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Toss crumbs with melted butter and then sprinkle on top.
- Top with almonds.
- Bake at 325°F for 40 to 45 minutes or till set.
- Note: I find it works better to add the crumbs and nuts about midway through the baking to avoid over browning.