Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 (4 lb) beef brisket, trimmed of as much fat as possible
- 1 lb mushroom
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. With a spoon, in a roaster or covered casserole into which the brisket fits comfortably, stir together soup mix, wine, water, and flour until blended.
- Stir in basil, thyme, marmalade, orange peel, sugar, garlic, and pepper. Add brisket, spooning some of the liquid over the top.
- Cover and bake for 4 hours, basting every hour, until tender when pierced.
- Remove brisket to a carving board. Slice thinly against the grain. (Chilling first makes it easier to slice.) Overlap slices in roasting pan.
- Pour sauce over meat. Add mushrooms to pan, basting with sauce. Increase oven temperature to 325 or 350 degrees F; bake, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes, basting once, until brisket slices are heated through and mushrooms are tender.