4 hrs 10 mins
Charlotte J's Note:
Recipe from Ina Garten
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -7 lbs beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 8 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 6 fresh bay leaves or 6 dried bay leaves
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place the brisket in a heavy roasting pan.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano.
- 4Rub the mixture on the brisket.
- 5Pile the carrots, celery, onions, and bay leaves on the brisket and pour in enough tomato juice to come about 3/4 of the way up the meat and vegetables.
- 6Cover the top of the pan with 2 sheets of parchment paper, then with aluminum foil.
- 7(The tomato juice will react unpleasantly with the aluminum foil if they touch.).
- 8Bake for 3 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- 9Remove the meat from the pan and keep it warm.
- 10Place the pan on 2 burners and boil the vegetables and sauce over medium heat for another 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
- 11To serve, slice the meat across the grain.
- 12Serve with the vegetables.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brisket With Carrots and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 926.1
- Calories from Fat 653
- Total Fat 72.5 g
- Saturated Fat 29.1 g
- Cholesterol 198.6 mg
- Sodium 1989.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 48.5 g