Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Recipe from Ina Garten
- 6 -7 lbs beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 8 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 6 fresh bay leaves or 6 dried bay leaves
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the brisket in a heavy roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano.
- Rub the mixture on the brisket.
- Pile the carrots, celery, onions, and bay leaves on the brisket and pour in enough tomato juice to come about 3/4 of the way up the meat and vegetables.
- Cover the top of the pan with 2 sheets of parchment paper, then with aluminum foil.
- (The tomato juice will react unpleasantly with the aluminum foil if they touch.).
- Bake for 3 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the meat from the pan and keep it warm.
- Place the pan on 2 burners and boil the vegetables and sauce over medium heat for another 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
- To serve, slice the meat across the grain.
- Serve with the vegetables.