Recipe by twissis
Oh my, this entry from my treasure trove of lost and newly found recipes (source unknown) looks like it would definitely be a crowd-pleasing brunch dish. Despite evidence to the contrary, I reduced the calories and fat content with the use of half-and-half instead of whipping cream which I thought was pure excess, especially when combined with low-fat milk. (Times have been estimated). Enjoy!
Top Review by anniesnomsblog
This is absolutely fabulous!! The bread is out of this world soft and fluffy and the sausage and melty brie go so well together! This vanished super fast in my house, what a delicious breakfast recipe!
- 1 (8 ounce) brie cheese, round
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 6 slices white bread
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 7 large eggs (divided according to directions)
- 3 cups half-and-half cream (divided according to directions)
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (chopped, or 1 tsp dried sage)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim rind from Brie and discard.
- Cut cheese into small cubes and set aside.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over med-high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well.
- Cut crusts from bread slices.
- Place crusts evenly in the bottom of a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Layer evenly with bread slices, sausage, Brie and Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk together 5 eggs, 2 cups half-and-half, low-fat milk, sage, seasoning salt, and dry mustard.
- Pour evenly over cheeses.
- Cover and chill mixture for 8 hours.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together remaining 2 eggs and 1 cup half-and-half.
- Pour evenly over chilled mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until casserole is set.