Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A wicked, flavorful broccoli cheese soup. Easy to make.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch or 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch fresh broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (Buy a block and shred yourself. I use extra sharp, but you can use whatever you like. )
- Heat olive oil and then add garlic and onion and cook until soft.
- Add chicken broth and then whisk in cornstarch.
- Cook until it comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add to crock pot. Also add milk, broccoli, and nutmeg.
- Cook for 4-6 hours.
- Stir in shredded cheese slowly and allow to cook and fully melt for about 20-30 minutes.
Excellent soup. The only thing I changed was I used a combo of an aged British cheddar, some Jarlsberg, and an aged Fontina. The Fontina added this really wonderful olive taste that just went so well with the cheddar. Also, make sure you add a little salt while cooking the garlic and onions.
Pretty good! I added some grilled chicken and used a combo of smoked cheddar and medium cheddar.