Cook1 hr 30 mins
Great taste and great to use those prolific zucchinis. If you wish to vary the recipe try l lb. of zucchini and 1 lb of eggplant just be sure that you slice the eggplant thickly and salt for 30 minutes to get some of the moisture out. Rinse and dry before using. You may also like to sprinkle 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese over the casserole for the last 15 minutes of baking.
- 2 lbs zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 lb potato, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 green sweet peppers, membrane and seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (peel if you wish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill or 2 teaspoons fennel
- 1⁄4 cup lite olive oil (or virgin)
- parsley (for garnish) or dill (for garnish) or fennel (for garnish)
- Mix together the garlic, tomatoes and sugar.
- Oil an oven dish large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Place some onion on the bottom of the dish.
- Mix zucchini, potatoes and peppers.
- Add a layer on top of the onions.
- Top with some of the tomato mixture.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle some of the herbs on top and drizzle with the oil.
- Continue layering until all ingredients have been used ending with a layer of the herbs and drizzle with oil (this may be 3-4 layers depending on the depth and size of your dish).
- Cover and cook in a 350°F oven for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover for the last 15 minutes.
- Garnish with herbs on the side and serve.
very good vegetarian dish, I had enough vegetables for two cassaroles. I did use half zuchinni and summer squash along with the eggplant. One dish I topped with mozzarella cheese and the other I pureed into a delicous soup and added alittle curry. Yum
bergy you've outdone yourself again! i used all my garden veggies and this was fabulous!! we have recently decided to cut back on meat and this will be a favorite of ours for sure!!! the flavors are a wonderful blend! i even had fennel from the garden that i used!! thanks bergy!!