Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A crispy outside with warm and chewy bread, sausage, and italian cheeses inside. We often have for Christmas breakfast--just prepare the loaf the night before, then put in the oven to bake while the family opens gifts.
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean sausage
- 1 dash garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- Thaw dough at room temperature until about double in size.
- Brown sausage with onions, oregano, and a dash of garlic powder. Drain.
- Separate one of the eggs, setting aside the white for later.
- Place the other egg and the egg yolk from above in large bowl with cheeses. Add sausage mixture and toss all together.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and flatten out dough to cover.
- Spread meat mixture over dough.
- Roll dough up in jelly-roll style (i.e., from long end to long end) with mixture inside. Pinch seam together to seal.
- Place seam-side down on cookie sheet. Brush top with reserved egg white.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- After baking allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into slices about 1-inch thick.
I've used this recipe for both a bridge club brunch and for my bible study group. It is wonderful.and so easy to prepare. It also looks very appetizing. I served it for a shower brunch and it disappeared from the table befoer anything else -- it's always the first thing to go. A favorite of mine.
I made this for our lunch today and it was very yummy! I did change the ingredients a little by using cheddar cheese only and not using the oregano (I'm not a fan of dried oregano and I didn't have any fresh). It was still awesome!! My hubby said it was fantastic and he could eat the whole thing by himself!
Made excellent filling Breakfast, did cut down on the amount of cheese to be more figure friendly. I can see where this would be a great Christmas Breakfast. Made for Spring PAC 08.