Recipe by AmyZoe
I love lasagna, and I love it more for breakfast. This recipe is no exception. I cooked it in one huge pan with multiple layers instead of two 8-inch round baking pans. It made the mother of all lasagnas. One baking round serves 8. Recipe courtesy of TheFoodinmyBeard and tablespoon.com.
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 onion
- 14 ounces tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the sauce: Brown the sausage and remove from pan. In the same pan cook the onions to lightly brown. Add in the butter and flour and stir well, cooking for about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and add the sausage back inches Strain the diced tomatoes and stir in the sauce.
- Cook the noodles in a pot of boiling water until tender.
- In a small bowl, crack and whisk two eggs. Prepare a frying pan to cook the eggs that is the same size as your round baking dishes.
- In the baking dish, start with a thin layer of sauce, followed by the first layer of noodles, then some more sauce and all three cheeses. Cook the first egg round for only a few minutes without flipping until it has just barely set on top. Transfer the egg to the top of the noodles then repeat with another layer of everything.
- Top with a final layer of pasta and a little more cheese and and sauce and bake at 400 for about 15 minutes.
- If you want to save this in the fridge or freezer to make ahead for later, boil the pasta a little less and bake a little longer before serving.