Recipe by jaynine
This feeds a pretty large crowd, and most of it can be put together ahead of time and refrigerated overnight. I like this one because you don't have to cook the hash browns before adding to the casserole.
Top Review by morninggirl5
One of my favorite breakfast for dinner recipes. I usually leave out the sausage and add more vegetables due to personal preference. I love that it can be prepared ahead of time and just popped in the oven after work.
- 1 lb pork sausage (I like spicy, but mild works fine)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (30 ounce) bag frozen hash browns
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- seasoning salt, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sliced mushrooms (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage and 2 tbsp onion together until done.
- Drain and set aside.
- Mix hash browns, remaining onions, seasoned salt, pepper and onion powder together.
- Place this mixture in lightly greased 9 x 13 dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Spoon sausage on top of cheese, then mushrooms (if desired).
- Can be refrigerated overnight or frozen at this point.
- When ready to bake, mix together the eggs, milk and salt and pepper to taste, then pour this over the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.