Recipe by Sharon123
This was the $400 prize winner in the birthday party recipe catagory in the Better Homes and Gardens contest. You can change it up and use your favorite berries! Great for a birthday breakfast or any holiday or weekend breakfast.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this for breakfast when we had a couple of overnight guests, & before mid-morning, it was finished off! I did use a loaf of nutty, whole grain bread & it was absolutely wonderful! I might try it again with other berries, but the strawberries, I'm sure, will remain my favorite! Thanks for posting such a great recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 round sourdough loaf (16 oz.) or 1 round whole grain bread (16 oz.)
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 0.5 (8 ounce) container whipped cream cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300*F.
- Remove crust from bottom of one round 16 ounce sourdough or whole grain bread loaf. Slice the bread horizontally in 3 equal round layers. Save the top layer for another use.
- Set aside remaining 2 bread portions. In a 2 quart square baking dish beat together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanila; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or on a griddle, melt 1 tbls. butter over medium high heat. Dip the bottom slice from the loaf into the egg mixture; let bread soak about 1 minute each side. add soaked bread round to skillet. Decrease heat to medium. Cook about 5 minutes or until golden brown, then carefully turn bread slice once. Place on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining 1 tbls. butter, second bread round, and egg mixture.
- Meanwhile, slice the strawberries and place in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan melt the strawberry preserves; pour over berries and toss to coat. Set mixture aside.
- In a chilled mixing bowl combine whipping cream, whipped cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Place bottom of bread loaf on a serving platter. Top with 1-2 cups of the strawberry mixture. Top with second bread round. Top with some of the whipped cream mixture and remaining strawberry mixture. Cut carefully into wedges.
- Serve immediately.
- Pass remaining whipped cream mixture. Enjoy!