Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4 pork chops, 1/2 inch thick,patted dry
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh sour dough breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- extra virgin olive oil, for shallow frying
- 2 lemon wedges
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl or lipped plate.
- Break the eggs into another shallow bowl and whisk with the salt and pepper.
- In a third shallow bowl mix the breadcrumbs with herbs.
- Bread the chops.
- Dredge a chop in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip it into the eggs, and finally coat the meat evenly with the breadcrumbs.
- Set on a piece of waxed paper or baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining chops.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the chops, about 1/4 cup.
- When the oil shimmers, add the chops and fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
- NOTE: To make sourdough bread crumbs, trim off and discard the crust of a fresh sourdough loaf (stale bread crumbs absorb more oil during frying), and pulse it in a food processor into crumbs.