Recipe by ellie_
This herb flavored chicken uses two cooking methods to achieve tender well flavored chicken. As the frying is just the final cooking/crisping it is less greasy and lower in calories than most fried chicken. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (February, 1987).
Top Review by Marie
I have always had trouble with the chicken getting too brown and the inside not quite done when deep frying. This sure solves that problem. I cut the chicken up before boiling and decreased the cooking time to 20 minutes. The herb seasoning is excellent; did not have marjoram, so left it out. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe, Ellie.
- 4 lbs chicken
- 1⁄3 cup herb seasoning mix (I use Herb Seasoning Herb Seasoning)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add chicken.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well.
- Cool before continuing.
- Cut chicken into 8 pieces.
- In each piece put a long deep pocket.
- Fill each pocket with approximately 2 teaspoons herb seasoning. I use Herb Seasoning recipe#84791.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or skillet to 375-degrees F.
- Combine flour with salt and pepper in a pie pan.
- Put eggs in seperate pie pan.
- In a third pie pan put in bread crumbs.
- Dip chicken in seasoned flour, then in eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Set aside while coating all pieces.
- Add chicken to deep fryer or skillet in batches and cook until golden (2-5 minutes on each side).
- Drain on paper towels before serving.