Recipe by NannyMarvel
This is a very simple but delicious recipe for calamari steaks. Be careful though - they cook exceedingly fast. Make sure you have the rest of the meal ready and on the table before you cook the steaks.
Top Review by Chez Sunfleur
I made this tonight. Very, very good! I cut my calamari steak into strips (to make them an appetizer), used panko instead of Italian bread crumbs because I like them with the Mexican flair. I also used peanut oil to fry (non-GMO canola is too pricey for me) which didn't change the flavor (they are both mild oils). I made a dill dipping sauce with lime juice squeezed in it. I will be making this again!
- 6 calamari steaks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 5 -6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place calamari steaks in large bowl and cover with buttermilk. Let set for 15-30 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, Tabaso sauce and 1/2 cup of milk. Pour into flat dish or pie pan and set aside.
- Mix flour, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Put into flat dish or pie plan and set aside.
- Put bread crumbs into flat dish or pie pan.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Drain calamari.
- When oil is very hot, dredge the clamari in the flour mixture, then dip into the egg and then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in oil until golden brown on one side then immediately turn over and fry till golden brown on the other. This takes about 1-2 minutes total. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve and enjoy.