Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
When I was a child I loved coming home and smelling the special spice blend that goes into this. My Mum's recipe and officially called 'bread pudding' she always referred to it as 'Wet Nelly'. (She was a scouser so maybe that explains it!)
- Break bread into large pieces.
- Place in a bowl and pour on enough cold water to cover, allow to stand for about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ gas mark 4 (160° fan) and grease a tin measuring about 26cm x 18cm (10" x 7").
- Squeeze out as much water as possible from the bread.
- Place the bread in a large bowl and add all other ingredients and stir until very well mixed.
- Pour into the baking tin and cook in the oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until set.
- Cut into squares and serve hot with custard or cold with a cuppa!
- Pieces can be warmed in the microwave if you prefer it warm.