Top Review by Janice1
This recipe was fabulous! However, I did not discard the burbon that the raisins soaked in. I made a "Brandy" sauce:halfstick of melted butter, 1 C sugar and 1 1/2 cup of whipping cream-melt in double boiler. Add 2 TBSP whisky and serve over the bread pudding. Yummy!
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup brandy or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 8 -10 slices dry bread
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups milk, scald & cooled
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover raisins with brandy or water.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine.
- Break up bread, set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of this mixture for topping.
- Pour melted margarine on before you toss the bread crumbs. Your sugar mixture will stick better that way.
- Toss bread with remaining sugar mixture.
- Place 1/2 of bread mixture in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Drain raisins, place 1/2 raisins over bread crumbs.
- Repeat layers.
- Combine egg, salt, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Beat for 1 minute.
- Add milk slowly.
- Pour over mix in dish.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved sugar mix on top.
- Bake at 325F for 45 to 50 minutes.