Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Excellent sandwich bread or good for toasting! I like the size of a traditional loaf so I use my bread machine to make the dough and bake this in the oven! Trick is having any left for sandwiches as it tends to disappear warm right out of the oven!
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups white bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 3 teaspoons bread yeast
- Add water, butter and honey in the bread machine.
- Add dry milk, salt, white flour, wheat flour and wheat gluten.
- Add yeast.
- Make dough in bread maker using the wheat bread,dough cycle.
- Add rolled oats after the first knead or at the beep for adding fruit and nuts.
- Remove from bread machine and shape dough into a greased loaf pan or two small loaf pans.
- Sprinkle extra oats on top of loaf for added texture.
- Let rise approximately 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lower heat to 350°F and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- *I usually bake the bread in the pan for the first 20 minutes and I complete the baking on a baking stone for a nice browned crust.