Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A genuine Czechoslovakian recipe, posted by request.
Make and share this Bread Dumplings (Houskove Knedliky) recipe from Food.com.
- Beat eggs, salt& milk in a large mixing bowl; add flour gradually.
- Continue beating with a large spoon (the dough must be smooth& stiff enough to hold its shape).
- Stir in bread cubes last.
- Have a clean, wet towel ready.
- Shape the dough with wet hands into an oblong, roll in a towel& drop into a large kettle of salted boiling water.
- Boil, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove the towel& slice the dumpling 1/2 inch thick (if not sliced immediately, the steam cannot escape& the dumplings will be soggy& hard).
- Keep hot until ready to serve.
Easy recipe to follow - my first time making dumplings. Family liked them. I might add just a tad bit more milk next time. When forming dough it is dry - which is difficult to get used to.
Thank you for publishing this very authentic recipe! I lost the original that my Baba had passed on to my mother and missed this simple wonderful food, now I can make my own! I add caraway seeds to mine and they turn out the same as my Baba used to make! Great with Chicken, Pork or Veal roast and sauerkraut!
Excellent recipe! I have been searching for an authentic recipe for Knedliky for my Czech family. This one gets a gold star! Its the best.