Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious pickles with a real crunch
- 6 quarts cucumbers, sliced thin
- 25 pickling onions (silverskin)
- 3⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 7 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard
- 7 1⁄2 cups pickling vinegar
- Mix cucumbers and onions with about 3 trays of ice cubes in a large bowl. Let stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain the cucumbers and onions well. While the cucumbers and onions are draining, bring the pickling salt, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, dry mustard and vinegar to a boil. Boil for five minutes. Add cucumbers and onions and bring the mixture just back to a boil, then take off the heat. Fill sterilized jars and seal.