Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is quick and easy to prepare and makes a flavorful light meal or brunch for the family.
- 1⁄2 ounce butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 thick slices white bread, stale will be ok
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 ounces ham, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 quart milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oven to 350°F Mix the butter and garlic together, then use a little to grease a shallow baking dish or tin. Use the rest to butter the bread slices, then cut them in hallf diagonally.
- Arrange the bread slices, overlapping in the baking dish. Tuck the cherry tomatoes and bits of ham in and around the bread slices.
- Whisk the milk and eggs together and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the bread and gently push the slices down into the liquid.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes Scatter the cheese over the top and bake for 35-40 mins until golden and set. Serve with a green salad.
Nice recipe but, regretably, just not to our taste for dinner. It wouldn't be fair to rate it. I was glad I made it though. Might be nice for lunch with the "girls."
Very good! I used some Italian bread I had made and Canadian bacon. Loved the subtle hint the garlic gave to this dish. I also made it earlier in the afternoon, so it sat longer than 5 minutes. Made for New Kids on the Block. :)