Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here's something really different; crab salad made with bread! Everyone in my family loves this stuff. It's very rich, so for health reasons I don't make it very often. You can also use shrimp or a combination of crab and shrimp. The amount of butter is an estimate, and time doesn't reflect the overnight refrigeration. Let me know what you think!
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Cut off crusts of bread and discard or save for another use.
- Butter both sides.
- Cut each slice into 16 cubes and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day add Swiss cheese, celery, green onions, crab, and eggs.
- Gently stir in mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate until serving time.
My mom used to make this years ago and it was only slightly different w/out swiss cheese. I tried making it without buttering the bread at all and omitting the swiss. It was awesome! I was afraid it would be dry but it was just fine. Everyone loved it again at a BBQ w/BBQ spareribs.