Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The month of october is the best time for bratwurst.
Make and share this Bratwurst recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean pork butt
- 1 lb boneless veal shoulder
- 1⁄2 lb pork back fat
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon toasted caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- about 3 feet prepared hog casing
- Cut the pork, veal and back fat into 1-inch cubes.
- Freeze the cubes in separate bowls for about 30 minutes to firm them up before grinding.
- Grind the pork, veal and back fat separately through a meat grinder fitted with a three-eighths-inch grinding plate into a large bowl set over an ice bath.
- Combine the meats and fat together with the pepper, salt, caraway seed, marjoram, allspice and sugar.
- Cover and freeze the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Remove and grind the mixture again using the finest grinding plate of the meat grinder.
- Add the heavy cream and mix well, using your hands.
- Fry a small patty until done to check the flavor and seasoning (the sausage should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees).
- If necessary, adjust salt, pepper and other seasonings, then fry another small patty and check again.
- Stuff the mixture into the prepared casing according to the manufacturer's instructions for your sausage stuffer.
- Prick any air pockets with a pin and twist off into 4- to 5-inch lengths.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
- This recipe requires a meat grinder and sausage stuffer.
- Casings should be properly flushed and softened before using; consult your butcher or the packaging.