From Syllabub's blog at Blogspot.com. If you leave the cookies flat and unfilled, they're Brandy Snaps. If you curl and fill them, they're Jumbles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- 4 ounces golden syrup
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon brandy or 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 6 ounces creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water, to taste
- 1 pint strawberry
- mint sprig, for decoration
- 1Heat the butter, sugar, syrup, lemon juice and Grand Marnier gently together in a saucepan until the butter melts and the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat, mix in the flour and leave to cool.
- 2Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350°F Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper with 6 circles of about 5 cm (2") marked on them, with good space between each. Alternatively, place this template under a Silpat – the circles will show through and you can slide the template out and reuse it. Place a teaspoon of the mixture in the centre of each circle and smooth out to the edges of the circle with a wet flat knife or back of a spoon. Spread them thinly, but not so thin that there are holes. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. To ensure enough time to roll the brandy snaps, put one tray into the oven 5 minutes before the other.
- 3Remove the brandy snaps from the oven and cool on the baking tray for a few seconds, then lift the cookies off with a palette knife and roll around wooden spoon handles. Don’t wrap them tightly around the handle – the snap will dangle off it, and the only bit of the snap that needs to be held tightly against the handle is the overlap: press that join firmly to seal. Then slide off the handle and place on a wire rack. If the snaps become too hard to roll, pop them back in the oven for a few seconds. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Snaps can also be rolled into cones.
- 4Dice the strawberries and taste: add a little sugar if they are not sweet and juicy enough. Let them sit while you fill the snaps, so that they release a little juice.
- 5To fill the brandy snaps, stir together the filling ingredients and spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle and pipe into each end of the biscuits.
- 6Top with a spoon or two of strawberries, and a sprig of mint if available. Serve as soon as they are filled. Leftover (ha!) unfilled cookies can be stored in air-tight containers for up to two weeks (if they last that long).
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brandy Snaps Aka Jumbles
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.5
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 63.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange flower water