Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a sweet bran muffin that even my twin children like! It is a recipe that I grew up on and still like today.
- 3 cups wheat bran
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons buttermilk baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2⁄3 cup hot water
- 5 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon applesauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat, toast bran in skillet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add remaining dry ingredients (except chocolate chips).
- In a heat resistant blender, let raisins soak for 5 minutes in the hot water and then puree.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix raisin puree and remaining wet ingredients.
- Combine well.
- Add wet mixture to the dry one and mix until just barely moist some flour should still be visible.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir just enough to distribute them.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin tins, filling full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tested done with a toothpick or knife.
- Serve warm.