Recipe by LisaAD
BRAISED SHORT RIBS Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse Show: The Essence of Emeril Episode: Ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes, canned
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or large, heavy covered pot over high heat.
- Season ribs with Creole seasoning, patting it in well with your hands. When pot is nearly smoking add ribs without crowding them and sear on all sides until they form a brown crust. Do this in batches, if necessary.
- When all ribs have browned, add onions, celery and carrot; saute 1 minute to brown lightly. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, pepper and.
- enough broth to just cover ribs.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to gently simmering, cover and simmer until very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- To serve, mound ribs in center of 4 plates, spoon sauce over and garnish with chopped scallion.